- 1 pound (about 2 medium) zucchini
- 1 teaspoon coarse or Kosher salt
- 2 scallions, split lengthwise and sliced thin
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Have a baking sheet ready.
- Trim ends off zucchini and grate them either on the large holes of a box grater or, if you have one, using the shredding blade of a food processor.
- In a large bowl, toss zucchini with 1 teaspoon coarse salt and set aside for 10 minutes. Wring out the zucchini in one of the following ways: pressing it against the holes of a colander with a wooden spoon to extract the water, squeezing out small handfuls at a time, or wrapping it up in a clean dishtowel or piece of cheese cloth and wringing away.
- Return zucchini shreds to bowl. Stir in scallions, egg and some freshly ground black pepper. In a tiny dish, stir together flour and baking powder, then stir the mixture into the zucchini batter.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Drop small bunches of the zucchini mixture onto the skillet only a few at a time so they don’t become crowded and lightly nudge them flatter with the back of your spatula. Cook the fritters over moderately high heat until the edges underneath are golden, about 3 to 4 minutes. If you find this happening too quickly, reduce the heat to medium. Flip the fritters and fry them on the other side until browned underneath again, about 2 to 3 minutes more. Drain briefly on paper towels then transfer to baking sheet and then into the warm oven until needed. Repeat process, keeping the pan well-oiled, with remaining batter.
DIPPING SAUCE INGREDIENTS:
- 1 cup sour cream or plain, full-fat yogurt
- 1 to 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
- Pinches of salt
- 1 small minced or crushed clove of garlic
DIPPING SAUCE DIRECTIONS:
- Stir together the sour cream, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt and garlic. Adjust the flavors to your taste.
- Dollop on each fritter before serving.
NOTE: Summer squash may also be used in the place of zucchini for this recipe.