- Kosher salt
- 1 pound orzo
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter
- 6 jalapeno peppers; 4 seeded and finely chopped, 2 sliced with seeds
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 2 cups panko
- 2 Fresno chile peppers, sliced
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt the water and cook the orzo until al dente, about 6 minutes; drain.
- Meanwhile, heat 4 tablespoons butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the chopped jalapenos, the garlic and onions and cook until the jalapenos and onions are soft, 5 minutes. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the milk and stir until the sauce thickens. Season with salt and pepper. Add the Cheddar and cream cheese and stir until melted.
- Combine the orzo with the sauce and transfer to a casserole dish.
- Melt the remaining 4 tablespoons butter and toss with the panko to coat. Sprinkle over the casserole and top with the sliced jalapenos and Fresno chiles.
Recipe from Rachael Ray